Skip to main content
Corpus Christi College University of Cambridge

Graduation for Postgraduates

To receive your degree certificate you need to have your degree conferred at a Congregation of the Regent House, a University tradition dating back some 800 years. Congregations are held on various dates throughout the year.

You can choose to receive your degree in person or in absence.

Graduation in Person

You can bring a maximum of three guests to watch the ceremony in Senate House. Guest tickets will be handed to you in College before the ceremony (no visitors without tickets will be admitted to Senate House).

Unless numbers are very small you will also be invited to a drinks reception and graduation lunch as a guest of the College. If you would like to attend the lunch you are also welcome to bring up to four additional guests at a cost of £32.50 per person. Please note, however, that for the July and October congregations the number to lunch will be limited to 2 guests per graduand, in order to accommodate all the graduands and their guests. If you wish to bring more than the maximum number of guests, please state this on your application form.

The Graduate Office will contact all graduands by email about five days before the Congregation with a final schedule for the dress rehearsal, lunch and procession to Senate House. Depending on the time Corpus has to be at Senate House, lunch might be before or after graduation. It is not possible to set the timetable earlier than a week before the Congregation, because this is when the we are told by the Student Registry at what time Corpus Christi must be present in Senate House. Please note, however, that you may need to be in Cambridge as early as 10.00am for a dress rehearsal.

Graduation in Absence

If you prefer to receive your degree in absence, you still need to choose at which Congregation you would like to have your degree conferred. Your degree certificate will be sent to you shortly after that Congregation. Please note, however, that you will not then be able to attend a ceremony at a later date.

MA Degree

If you hold a Cambridge BA, you are entitled to receive your MA degree not less than six years from the end of your first term of residence, providing that you have held your BA degree for at least two years. About two months before you become eligible you will be contacted by the Graduate Office with an application form and further details.

How to Apply

Once you have chosen a Congregation date for graduation in person or in absence, please contact the Graduate Office to ask for an application form. This needs to be returned at least three weeks before your chosen date.

If you have any queries, however minor you think they may be, please contact the Graduate Office. There is also useful information on the University website.