Space and Accessibility
The Taylor Library is accessed directly from Kwee Court. For library users with particular needs, we advise making contact with the librarians in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see our downloadable floor plans outlining physical access. Please note that external and internal doors are not power assisted.
An overview of accessibility details are listed below.
Disability information and general accessibility
- The entrance hall and ground floor are level with the paving in Kwee Court for wheelchair access.
- Main entrance is card-operated using your University card but is not power assisted.
- The lift is accessible from the ground floor and conveys users to both the basement or the first floor.
- All steps and stairs have hand rails (including steps to Girdlers' Room and the computer room), with the exception of the steps from the basement floor to the basement seating area.
- Two disabled toilets are available in the building (one in the entrance hall; another on the first floor).
- Media Room (a meeting room) is accessible for wheelchair users prepared to use the lift.
- Further assistance and information can be given by the librarians in the Library Office during working hours (phone (01223) 338052; email: email@example.com). Assistance can be given by the Porters Lodge in emergencies (phone (01223) 338000).
- Taylor Library has over 100 desk spaces located accross three floors.
- Standard fixed-height wooden desks give 68cm clearance beneath the desk throughout the building.
- Standard straight-backed wooden seating has a seat height of 45cm throughout the building.
- Fixed-height lecterns (space for six readers standing) are located in the law library on the ground floor: reading angle is fixed at 45 degrees.
- Two power assisted height-adjustable desks (for sitting/standing) are located on the ground floor; a further two are located on the top floor.
- Four ergonomic chairs accompany height-adjustable desks.
- All standard desks have inbuilt tube lighting and plug sockets; free standing desk lamps are also available.
Catalogue, book borrowing and returns
- Books can be searched using the University catalogue, iDiscover, which can be accessed online.
- Fixed screen catalogue terminals are available for searches (see above for standard fixed-height desk and chair dimensions).
- Books are borrowed and returned on a desk-mounted self-issue machine (desk height 89cm: intended for standing use); borrowing requires your University card; the self-issue machine requires use of a touchscreen.
- Contact us in advance if you believe that you have difficulties physically finding, borrowing or returning books: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computing and internet access
- Wireless internet is available throughout the building (users are required to connect to eduroam).
- Library printer is located in the computer room (the room is on the ground floor, accessed by climbing two steps with a hand rail).
- Print jobs can be sent remotely to your printing accounts using the University wireless printing service; to release your stored print jobs, you will need to swipe your university card and are required to use a touchscreen on the printer.
- Please contact the librarians if you believe that you will have difficulties printing: email@example.com.
- Further information about disability resources elsewhere in the University can be found at the Disability Resource Centre.
- For any other queries relating to access in the Taylor Library, please contact us. Phone (01223) 338052; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.